Pages

06 November 2012

Of Firsts: Voting


While the 2012 election has not started in the United States mainland, on Guam, where America's day begins, the election just reached its conclusion. Votes have not been tallied as of yet, but the process of filling out ballots is done and over with.

During the summer of this year, my brother and I became registered voters on Guam. Hence, this election is quite a big deal for me because this is the very first time I filled out a ballot to vote. Truth to be told, the thought of having my opinion on who I want to be in position was a little exciting.

This afternoon, at around three thirty, my brother and I drove to a public elementary school where we were assigned to vote. As we got nearer and nearer the school, I saw a few canopies with posters of names of different politicians. Then, at the gate of the school, I was able to distinguish one of the senatorial candidates. He was smiling as he proudly waved the Guam flag. He was also waving and smiling to the voters who drove inside the school grounds. It then hit me: who am I going to vote for?

It dawned on me that I barely know anything about the senatorial candidates. I heard there is a nurse or a doctor who wants to run for senator… I read on a billboard somewhere that one of them is a veteran… Who are republican? Who are democrats?

I hear more about Barack Obama and Mitt Romney’s campaign on television and on the internet. However, I have very little knowledge about the local candidates on Guam.

Right now, you’re probably thinking: This girl is such a responsible voter.

I digress.

To make a long story short, I ended up doing a meeny-meeny-miny-moe when choosing my fifteen senatorial candidates, and I randomly answered the questions regarding the court. But there was one vote I’m sure I did responsibly, and that was to vote for my first presidential candidate. While I know that my vote for the president of my choice might not count (Guam is not a US state so presidential votes don’t exactly count), I know I made an informed decision. So yea, today, I have first voted for my president of choice.


From this experience, I have learned that I must stay informed regarding the politics on Guam no matter how demanding my schedule is at school. This will be the last time I will do a meeny-meeny-miny-moe when choosing my candidate.

But I do hope my brother and I are the only ones who did a meeny-meeny-miny-moe voting. Everyone, vote responsibly. Be in the know.

No comments:

Post a Comment