Pages

03 June 2012

Tintin tries baking the Devil

This may be sort of a shocking news for some people who know me personally, but I did bake the devil's food cake yesterday.

Prior to yesterday, baking was not exactly my thing... The mere thought of putting anything in the oven scares me. I was actually content with just opening canned foods or cooking using the stove. However, after reading some easy recipes that do not actually look too daunting or difficult to make, I decided to learn how to bake. And the first thing that I baked is the devil's food cake.

Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake Mix: Devil's Food
Photo from Google
Being a beginner with NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE to baking cakes AT ALL, I decided not to make any variations of the cake and baked just the plain devil's food. Also, due to my lack of experience, I followed the recipe at the back of the Betty Crocker box step by step (with a few exceptions, LOL).

First step is to prepare the tools and the ingredients to be used:

New countertop oven from Hamilton Beach
New egg beater, two 9" round pans, sparkle gel, toothpicks
Fresh Eggs (used three)

Crisco Olive Oil Spray

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

2. Spray 9 inch pans with oil (Crisco).

Spray-oiled pans
3. Mix Betty Crocker Supermoist Devil's Cake food mix, three eggs, and one and one-fourth cup water in a container.

Three eggs. They look like a smiley face. GOOD OMEN! Lol.
Water, cake mix, and eggs before combining.
After mixing the ingredients. Looks yummy already.
4. Pour batter into the prepared pans.

Batter on the pan.
5. Place batter on the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted on center comes out clean.

Baked cake. :)
6. Cool down cake for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely before applying frosting.

7. Stir frosting and apply as desired. Honestly, I'm not one to talk about how to professionally and beautifully put frosting on your cake. This is the part where my cake started to look ugly. Tip: if you're just a beginner, choose chocolate frosting instead of vanilla.


Betty Crocker Vanilla Frosting

How much frosting is too much frosting?
8. My brothers favorite step: Design as desired!

Wilton Sparkle Gel: Blue



My brothers are beginners too when it comes to designing the cake. But kudos to their efforts, right? :)

Because John was awarded in school. This is his cake. :)

That's Wolverine, just in case you have not noticed. T__T
9. Enjoy. :)

And that concludes my beginner's recipe for baking Devil's food cake. :)

Hmmm.. I think I want to bake again. LOL. Let's keep life sweet, shall we? Happy baking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment