Pages

09 June 2012

Tintin tries baking the Angel

The baking spree continues!

Who would have thought that I, who used to loathe handling the spatula and everything that concerns cooking, is now addicted to baking! And yes, up until this moment, I still could not believe that I am actually loving cooking and baking. The high that I get when the liquid batter slowly turns into a soft, fluffy bread is just amazing. It is akin to watching a yummy miracle take place inside my countertop oven!

A week ago, I baked the devil's food cake aka "The Devil" (click here for more). This time, I tried baking the angel's food cake aka "The Angel." How cool was that?

To be honest with you, I think there really is nothing so great or impressive to say about this experience. If anything, I think baking the devil had more - for a lack of a better term - challenge, compared to baking the angel cake. You'll find out why.

Being a beginner with baking, I use ready made cake mixes. This is my second time, people. I know. I'm twenty-one and I had only baked two cakes in my life. How embarrassing.

What you'll need with baking the angel:

1. Angel food cake mix


2. Water (1 1/4 cups)

3. Angel pan or loaf pan

Procedure (I take no credit for this. This recipe was taken from the box of Betty Crocker Angel Food mix.):

1. Move oven rack to lowest position if using angel food pan or middle rack if using loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees or 325 degrees for dark or nonstick pan). Do NOT grease pan.

2. Beat cake mix and 1 1/4 cups water in extra large bowl (Take this part seriously. When I beat my mix, the batter almost spilled from the bowl. So when they say use extra large bowl, use EXTRA LARGE bowl.) on low speed for 30 seconds then on medium speed for one minute. Or you can just beat it manually. Pour into ungreased pan.

Leftover
3. Bake for 37-47 minutes if using an angel food pan or until top is dark golden brown and cracks feel very dry and not sticky. Do not underbake.

4. Immediately turn pan upside down onto glass bottle until cake is completely cool. Run knife around edges; remove from pan. Cut with serrated knife, using a sawing motion, or with electric knife. Store tightly covered.

 And here's the angel cake after baking. Look how imperfect it looks. :(

Note to self: research how to cut the angel cake decently without destroying it. Will definitely cut it better the next time.


One of the good things about the angel cake is that you can use anything as a topping to it. Strawberries, peaches, pineapples, raspberries, anything! And my choice of topping is strawberry!


 And here's the final product:


Happy baking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment