Pages

30 May 2012

Guam Slingshot

This happened quite a while back (during spring break to be exact).

I know I should be sharing about how my summer is going. However, I have not blogged about this one exciting experience yet, so let me take you back to a night during my most recent spring break.

*insert black and white screen like in old movies*

Last spring break, I was able to try out one of the most popular (or perhaps the most popular) rides in Guam - the Slingshot. (To view my blog post about my spring break, click here.)

Unlike most amusement rides, the Guam Slingshot is not located inside an amusement park. It is, in fact, located right across the street from the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Tumon, Guam. There are a few fences that separates the area of the Slingshot from the rest of the land, and there is also a gate where people have to pay for certain fees. However, the Slingshot ride is located in an an area where cars pass by and people walk by, making it too obvious to be seen. Moreover, it is also quite high and the lights that adorn the Slingshot make it waaaaay too obvious for people to recognize. Oh, did I mention the lights of the Slingshot ride are pretty to watch? I think the lights add a factor to attract customers, who are mainly tourists by the way.

Anywaaaay...

Last spring break, I got into my tourist-y mood and decided to ride the Slingshot. It was fun (and scary). Scratch that. The experience was way beyond fun.

After paying at the booth (it was twenty bucks if I remember it correctly), my friend Lee and I were led to the lockers to put away our bags, necklaces, phones, and basically everything that could possibly fall out. At this moment, all I felt was excitement. Finally, I thought, I will be riding the Guam Slingshot. Yes, you get that feeling once you have lived in an island for four years and not try out everything.

Lee and I: Securely fastened:
Taken with HDR for iPhone 4s
No editing
Then, we sat on the chairs of the Slingshot and were securely fastened by one of the workers. By this time, my stomach was already starting to feel some butterflies, and my heart was racing. The night breeze felt cool but I was sweating. Oh gosh. By the way, the Slingshot could only hold two people at a time.

On landscape this time:
Taken with HDR for iPhone 4s
No editing
All the excitement that I felt prior to sitting on the Slingshot flew out of my system after we were tossed in the air. I could remember myself screaming and cussing throughout the ride. And thank goodness, all good things come to an end, because if not, I would still be in that ride screaming my lungs out (not a very good picture).

At the end of all the tossing and dropping, the Slingshot comes to a full stop in midair. If you kept your eyes closed throughout the ride, then this is the part where I highly suggest that you start opening your little peepers. The view was beautiful, and I bet you don't want to miss it. Come to think of it, you do not want to pay twenty bucks just to be tortured, right? So just like what I said earlier, open your eyes once the ride comes to a full stop in midair, because after that, the ride will slowly descend on land while you absorb all the things you can see from above.

That small flicker of lights: the ride itself:
Taken with HDR for iPhone 4s
No editing.
Before I forget, I suggest to ride the Slingshot at night. Why? Simple. Guam gets really hot during the day, and the Slingshot ride is pretty much a very open ride. What I meant was, it has no roof or walls of some sort to protect your skin and eyes from the sun. And did I mention you cannot wear sunglasses or hats because they will fall out during the ride? Also, I think the view at night is better than the view you can see during the day. Take it from me: Tumon is very beautiful at night (with all those pretty colorful lights that people turn on in the evening).

Signboard: Slingshot:
Taken with HDR for iPhone 4s.
No editing

Now that I have shared my experience regarding this ride, I hope it convinced you to try it out when you visit Guam. And I highly doubt that you would have the complete tour of Guam when you don't ride the Slingshot. It is definitely worth all the screams you'll be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment