13 August 2011

Rapunzel, Rapunzel... Lay down your golden extension!

Last night, I realized something. Looking back on the month of June, when I took two summer classes, I talked about Disney Princesses in about all of my projects for both classes. I thought they were just interesting and I was just trying to rekindle my love for the said characters. But last night, I have come to the conclusion that another probable reason I actually like talking about the Disney Princesses is because I can relate to some of them. Although, last night, I thought that I could relate more to Rapunzel these days. I am not saying that I have seventy feet of golden hair or that I have a chameleon pet. I just thought that I could somehow understand her feelings about being locked up.

Rapunzel, in the 3D movie, was the damsel who was locked up in a tower by her pseudo-mother. Her false mother claims that the reason she does not allow Rapunzel to go out into the real world is because she was scared for Rapunzel. According to her, life outside of the tower was cruel.  Being locked up in her tower, Rapunzel is left with no other choice but to look out of her small window to get a peek of what the world actually looked like. Then, if she finds something interesting, she would draw it on the walls of her small abode. Time came when curiosity got the best of her and she went outside of her tower – without her false mother’s permission. At first, she was guilty for sneaking out. But in the end, she was happy to have taken her chance to go out of the tower and learn about the life outside of her small room.

During my therapy session with L and R (to know more about this, read my previous post), I suddenly mentioned that I wanted to be a boy. I thought, if I were a boy, I would probably have more freedom; my mom would not have to worry that I might come home pregnant because I missed curfew. Then Rob replied, “Mas mahirap maging lalaki dahil mas madaming tukso. Mas prone kami magdrugs kesa sa babae.” (“It is more difficult to be a boy because there are more temptations. We are more prone to using drugs than girls.”) I told him, “Pero hindi kayo nabubuntis.” (“But then again, you don’t get pregnant.”) He said that he does not believe in such things. Boys and girls, granted that they are old and responsible enough, should enjoy the same freedom.

I am twenty years of age, but I do not enjoy the kind of freedom L and R enjoy. Heck. I do not enjoy the freedom most of my female classmates get. Now that I have come to think of it, some of these female classmates are younger than me.

Right now, I feel like I am Rapunzel. I see the outside world by peeking through a small window, but I have no freedom to go out and taste what life is outside of what my mom would probably define as the “comfort zone.” You are probably thinking, how did you go to Singapore? Isn’t Singapore outside of your mother’s comfort zone? Well, to make a long story short, I had my mom’s approval at first, and then she changed her mind. And now, she told me that I couldn’t go on a tour again. That is, until I get my Registered Nurse license, which will take me about two years if I do not fail any of my classes. As of now, going out is prohibited. Because mom says it is dangerous out there. So I guess, for now, Rapunzel would wait for two years and wonder when her life can truly begin.

Anyway, here is a youtube video of Rapunzel singing "When will my life begin."








No comments:

Post a Comment